> Von: IWILLIM@ip3gate.usa.com
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: CLEAN TRASH
> Datum: Dienstag, 01. Juli 1997 20:57
>
> At our power plant, we have different bins through out the radiologically
> controlled area for various items, e.g.; clean PCs, used PCs, clean
> (green) trash, contaminated trash, respirators.  It is difficult to
ensure
> that the proper items are place in their respective bins.  We survey all
> items leaving the RCA, and it is frustrating to find PCs and gloves in
what
> is supposed to be clean trash.
>
> We've tried a few things, but we're looking for some more ideas.  In an
> outage, there are lots of people in these areas.
>
> Any similar experiences and corrective actions that have been effective
> or non effective for that matter are appreciated.
>

> Matt Williamson
> williamson.m@nypa.gov

Matt,

I am aware of this problem. The only - and maybe not so costly way - is to
collect waste in a central place, check it there for contamination and then
have it put into the correct bins by the person checking. This might be
cheaper than checking bins after trash has been deposited and
redistributing the trash to the correct bin.... Anyway it would avoid
contamination being distributed over larger areas.

Just my opinion.

Franz