Q on Eu-152, Co-60 in Concrete -Reply

Pete C wrote in part:
>I am looking for a document (hopefully not mythical) concerning
>an NRC position on Eu-152 and Co-60 activation in reactors being
>decommissioned..... Is there anyone out there in radsafe land that
>remembers an NRC position on this subject. If yes I'd be eternally
>well life is short so one can promise almost anything) grateful for
> where I can get this document.

Let me quote from the NRC's "A Summary of NRC's Interim Radiological
Cleanup Criteria and Current Dose Bases":

"...Regulatory Guide 1.86 has been combined with a 5 uR/hr at 1 meter
external dose criterion for Co-60, Cs-137 and Eu-152 that may exist in
concrete, components, and structures at nuclear reactor research
facilities with an overall dose objective of 10 mrem/year (cf. Letter to
Stanford University from James R. Miller, Chief, Standardization and
Special Projects Branch, Division of Licensing, Office of Nuclear Reactor
Regulation, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, April 21, 1982, Docket
No 50-141)."

I can send you a copy of, the "Summary" but if you want a copy of the
letter you wil have to go to the NRC - either their documents folk or
somebody within NMSS.  Try (301) 492 7000 as a start, maybe someone
on radsafe has a better contact.

Best wishes

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs