Tyvek Housewrap Instead of Plastic Sheeting

     Here's an operational tip for building a temporary contamination
     barrier or containment structure: use Tyvek Housewrap instead of
     plastic sheeting.

     We recently completed a project where high surface contamination was
     expected in an area adjacent to a confined space occupied by workers.
     The walls outside the confined space needed to be wrapped to prevent
     major decon problems.  I was uncomfortable using plastic sheeting
     because of increased fire and smoke loading, and limited personnel
     egress.

     Just an aside:  In case you hadn't thought about it, traditional sheet
     polyethylene is approximately like solid gasoline  ;)

     Based on my concerns, I specified wall coverings of sheet plastic with
     low values for "smoke developed value" and "flame spread index."  (See
     ASTM-84, "Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of
     Building Materials.") The architect assured me such plastics were
     available, but the maintenance coordinator told me that in real life
     he could not get that kind of material.  He thought about it a while,
     went to the hardware store and came back with a big role of Tyvek
     Housewrap.  It cost about the same as polyethylene sheeting.

     Tyvek Housewrap has been widely used for the past 15 years as a
     component in external walls of new houses.  DuPont specifications show
     a flame spread index of 0 and smoke developed value of 25 (on scales
     where inorganic reinforced cement board is 0 and red oak flooring is
     100).   It is strong, UV resistant, easy to handle, and tape sticks to
     it.  Our waste disposal group was confident that the housewrap would
     meet waste acceptance criteria.  All in all it is a very good material
     and it worked well.

     Bob Morris, CHP, CIH
     WASTREN-Grand Junction
     970-248-6704