Re: Looking for references of the Hazard Guide Value (HGV) for Lab. Classification

M. Jo:  You may wish to check "Guidelines for the Radiation Protection of
Workers in Industry (Ionising Radiations)" Requirements for control of
Exposure to Radiationof workers Engaged in Radiation Work in Specific
Installations and Practices, Occupational Safety and Health Series #62,
1989, international Labour Office, Geneva, ISBN  92-2-106442-5.  REGARDS
David

At 05:32 PM 29-07-97 -0500, you wrote:
>I am revising our RS Manual which has a procedure for the Lab.
>Classification. I have three different sources about this subject but
>they are not in agreement.
>
>1. Our manual was drafted prior to my arrival. So, I do not know where
>this infomation came from. It looks like it was copied from some source
without
>modification. This method uses quantity, toxicity, and use factor and
>classify labs to A, B, C, and D.
>
>2. I received a short form of the IAEA Safety Standard, Safety
>Series No.1, 1973 from our state regulatory agency. This document
>describes lab. classification but it's not complete. This methods seemed
>to use toxicity and quantity and classify labs type A, B, and C.
>
>3. The Health Physics and Rad. Health Handbook by Shleien has a section
>(page 398). This section lists radiotoxicity, quantity, type of operation
>and more but but I am not clear which ones are involved in actual
>classification. Labs are classified Type I, II, and III. (I think it's an
>error on the page 402 where Type II are listed twice.)
>
>Are there other sources which I can compare? I will appreciate to know
>where to find the other references for this subject. I would like to
>approach from a risk based classification.
>
>Many thanks in advance.  M. Jo
>
>This is only my opinion...
>Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
>University of Nevada, Reno
>Health Physics/ MS 328
>Reno, NV 89557
>(702) 784-4540(voice)
>(702) 784-4553(fax)

David W. Lee
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Radiation Protection Services Group (ESH-12)
PO Box 1663, MS K483
Los Alamos, NM  87545
PH:   (505) 667-8085
FAX:  (505) 667-9726