Re: Radiation tests at VA hospital questioned

It is strange to me that such simple observations of fact engender the
conclusions that they do (not to mention some highy vituperative and
unprofessional responses to me at least via personal e-mail).  It seems to
me to be an enormous leap to conclude the following

>Membership in HPS or professional certification in any field does not
>confer infallibility.  Non-membership or lack of certification does not
>indicate incompetence. It may be interesting to note that "He's not one of
>us", but only at the risk of seeming elitist.

from the following:

>Nor a member of the AAPM.
>
>I note with some interest that the 'top radiation safety officer' Moussa
>Raiszadeh, PhD in radiopharmaceutical sciences notwithstanding, is
>neither a CHP nor a member of the HPS.

Neither of the above two statements to me,at least, implies that HPS
membership or ABHP certification confers infallibility.  What they do is
raise some important questions: If in fact this individual was the 'top
radiation safety officer' at the VA (and perhaps the news report erred in
this regard -- even the media are not infallible, and this question also
needs to raised), isn't it curious as to why he has chosen not to affiliate
with scientific organizations in the field of radiation protection?  Perhaps
we need to do more to encourage menbership in these bodies by those who are
not now 'one of us'.  Apparently Dr. Raiszadeh is well qualified for
membership in HPS, and for all I know may even qualify to sit for the ABHP
exam.  Certainly we need to listen to those who are 'not one of us'.  And,
if in fact the allegations are true, it is perhaps disturbing that 'one of
us' did not take the appropriate action sooner.

As for the allegations, they need to be evaluated on their merit.

Finally, at the risk of appearing elitist, I will still identify myself as a
CHP and append CHP after my name in signing certain professional
communications. Similarly, I will wear my HPS lapel pin with pride.  There
is no shame in being a CHP, and being one does not imply in any way that
those who have not sought or achieved this designation are in way inferior.
Indeed, in many respects the CHP is analgous to medical board certification,
and perhaps in a lesser sense, to a structural endorsement on a civil
engineering license.  Civil engineers without the endorsement do not
denigrate their colleagues who have such endorsements.  If this is elitist,
so be it, but it seems no different than the use of A.I.A., O.D, D.C., M.D.,
R.N., P.E., D.A.B.R., Esq., CIH, CSP, or any one of innumerable professional
designations, many of which are widely used outside of the professional
setting.

Ron Kathren, CHP