Re: Radiation tests at VA hospital questioned

I think we are missing the point.  Who are we to question the
credentials of the individuals involved, when we are operating out of
ignorance?

I am not familiar with the regulations of the State of California or
whether the VA must follow those regulations. At the Federal level
the research falls under the guidance of the Office of Protection
from Radiation Risks (OPRR) of DHHS.  The FDA is mute on this issue
since it appears that common x ray modalities were used. OPRR
requires approval by a valid local IRB staffed by representatives of
appropriate professions; medicine, surgery, radiology, ethics, a
member of the general public, etc.

Assuming that there was a qualified radiologist on the local IRB,
then the approval would meet Federal requirements, at least in terms
of evaluating radiation risk.  However, the either the news paper
reports or Otto's note indicate that the protocol's were subject to
review by the RSO.  It appears that someone in the VA screwed up by
not following procedure.

This issue should have been settled as part of their IRB process, not
in the press and after the fact.  The RSO's concerns may or may not
be valid but without all of the facts, what do we have to discuss?

Jerry Rosen

University of Pittsburgh
Phone:  412-624-2728
Fax:    412-624-3562