Re: Southern California position addendum

At 11:39 PM 8/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Have I sold you yet?  Seriously, I do think that it's a great opportunity to
>learn HP for someone getting started out, even if they have to put up with
>living in S. California.

Mr. Greger

With all due respect, please adjust your comments regarding "putting up
with living in southern California" to be more specific.  I live and work
in San Diego county, the southern most part of CA.  I think what you were
intending to say deals with the frightful urban existence that one must
face living in Los Angeles or Orange counties.  Being a native Chicagoan,
and having lived, worked, and frequently traveled, or more accurately
parked on the freeway, in L.A. & Orange counties, I would encourage those
who grew up in the northern snow or urban belt to stay where they are if
their destination is L.A.

The opportunity you are offering sounds great, but compensation in monetary
form is the only way you will attract , and keep, a "smart" person to your
offering.  For the most part, everything about the L.A. area SUCKS!!  L.A.
is a fine place to visit, but living there requires a special kind of
tolerance.

When I first read your comments I thought you were joking, but then I
reread and got the impression you were serious about your S. CA comments.
San Diego is the best part of S. CA. and deserves not to be lumped in with
your sweeping geographical inaccuracies.

Thanks for your consideration

T.Fox
UCSD Office of EH&S
tfox@ucsd.edu
619-534-1066

The opinions expressed here are my own, but I'd wager a majority of San
Diegans would support my position.