Re: A simple way to MAKE x-rays????

>I recall that several years ago, I ran across a reference to a simple device to

>create X-rays as a demonstration.  Apparently, one used a certain type of
>vacuum tube that would generate X-rays rather handily (at detectable, but
>relative low levels).

>(This is the type of thing one would find
>in Popular Electronics in the early 60's, I would think).

That would most likely be a High Voltage shunt regulator tube of that era.

I doubt you could find one since they have most likely all burnt out or
been otherwise disposed of.  The replacement part had a leaded glass
envelope and a hooded anode to absorb generated x-rays.

Anyhow - even if you DID get one - you would still need a high voltage
supply - say about 30 kV and capable of 100 microamps - preferably not
more!  (the TV supply can do about 1 mA!).

I'd treat such a rig with caution!

It would probably be MUCH easier to find an old fixed anode x-ray tube or a
used dental tube!

Power supply requirements would be about the same (and once built you may
have to contact you "friendly" state regulators and pony up your
"registration" tax).