A simple way to MAKE x-rays????

Good afternoon,

Another posting regarding a simple way to measure X-rays has prompted me to ask
a related question.

I recall that several years ago, I ran across a reference to a simple device to
create X-rays as a demonstration.  Apparently, one used a certain type of
vacuum tube that would generate X-rays rather handily (at detectable, but
relative low levels).

Such a device would be very useful to us in our training program, but alas, I
have not been able to find any detailed instructions on how to construct such a
demonstration unit.

Do any of you remember working with such a device, and if so, where can I find
the assembly instructions for one?  (This is the type of thing one would find
in Popular Electronics in the early 60's, I would think).

Jim Barnes, Certified Health Physicist
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne Division; Boeing North American