RE: Contamination from I-131 in Perspiration

Ben,  we see considerable contamination in the sweat of I-131 patients.  In
fact, we give the patients scrubs to wear while they are in the hospital to
prevent contamination of their own clothes.  I have counted as much as
20,000 cpm in a 4 sq. cm wipe for a patient given over 150 mCi I-131.  I
have also seen as little as 2000 cpm for the same wipe on a different
patient.  I think it has to do with how much water is consumed post
ingestion and how many trips to the bathroom.
We encourage lots of water for the first several hours.  One patient had
over 2000 cpm from a wipe of her palm three days after ingestion of about
150 mCi.  She probably had on the order of 10 mCi in her at the time.  It is
a highly variable problem.  Recently, the NRC relaxed its patient release
limits from 5 mr/hr at 1 meter to 7 mr/hr at one meter, so we are releasing
patients earlier than before. In fact, one can now treat thyroid ca with
I-131 on an outpatient basis.  (See NUREG-1492 for details).  I expect that
a lot of patient clothes and personal belongings and bedding will be
contaminated in the near future.  Fortunately,  I-131 decays relatively fast
 (8 day half life) and the exposure to anyone from the contamination will be
negible, even for high dose therapy.  If you would like more info contact me
on my e-mail address and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

Bill Bass, RSO
Washington Hospital Center
Washington, DC
BGB3@MHG.EDU