Re: 6 KeV x-ray monitoring

        Dale,

        The other suggestions have been pretty "right on" as far as
measuring exposure or dose, but first you have to find out where your
"leakage" is coming from. I have had many instances where I have tried to
find an exact place where a piece of machinery (XRD/SEM/XRF etc.) has
developed a low energy x-ray leak. I have found that I can use a Ludlum
survey meter with a 44-3 low energy scintillation probe (sorry to mention a
specific manufacture here) to find my leak (be it primary or scatter) and
then I can either measure the leak (for exposure or dose rate) with a ion
chamber (unless it's too columnated) or TLDs like Ron suggested...

        Hope this helps,

        Joel

At 04:43 PM 8/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dale --
>
>You can block off the primary beam with Pb, and measure the leakage with
>TLD.  Call me if you ish to discuss further.
>
>Ron
>
>At 04:08 PM 8/6/97 -0500, Dale E. Boyce wrote:
>>Folks,
>>
>>I need a recommendation for an instrument to measure leakage from a
>>6 KeV x-ray machine.  The researcher who is using the machine would like to
>>be able to monitor for leakage.  So I don't think he wants an instrument
>>to do anything but measure exposure or dose.  Anyone with experience
>>at this low energy, I appreciate your suggestions.
>>
>>Thanks, Dale

Joel T. Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
Naval Research and Development (NRaD)
San Diego, CA., U.S.A.

The content of this message has not been reviewed or endorsed by my employer
(the U.S. Navy), the Federal government or my supervisors.