Professional Ethics

The American Academy of Health Physics has published Standards of
Professional Responsibility for CHP's (ie a code of ethics) in Radiation
Protection Professional's Directory and Handbook, commonly known as the HPS
Membership Handbook, p. 239, and has a formal established mechanism to
handle complaints against CHP's, and to ensure the ethical practice of the
profession.  CHPs sign a commitment to the Standards of Professional
Responsibility.  Unethical professional practice could result in various
sanctions, including, in the extreme, revokation of certification.

Note that the Academy and the ABHP, its independent certification arm, are
independent of the Health Physics Society, and take very seriously the
ethical aspects of the professional practice of health physics.  As the
President-Elect of the Academy, I am personally committed to ensuring the
ethical practice of health physics by all CHPs (a commitment which should be
and I believe is shared by all members of the Academy)and pledge to work
hard to achieve that goal.

Ron Kathren, CHP