Re: Professional Ethics

Shortly before Ron posted this note today, I had the pleasure to talk with
him about his and the AAHP's efforts to "self-police" membership. I had to
admit to him that I and others I had spoken with were not aware of efforts
of the AAHP to take sanctions, including revocation of certification, for
ethical violations. I was impressed by what he told me and by Ron's
dedication to do exactly what he stated, that he is "committed to ensuring
the ethical practice of health physics by all CHPs . . . and pledge[s] to
work hard to achieve that goal." Perhaps it was the words he spoke, perhaps
it was the way he spoke, perhaps it was his obvious love of and dedication
to the profession to which he has dedicated so much of his life, but no
matter the reason, I was impressed.

Ron wrote that, as President-Elect of the Academy, he is personally
committed to ensuring the ethical practice of health physics by all CHPs. I
believe that Ron can only achieve this goal if he has the support of all of
us in the profession.

Finally, it is my belief that all HPs should review the Standards of
Professional Responsibility for CHP's found in HPS Membership Handbook.
These seem like good standards for us all, certified or not.

Paul Lavely
RSO and Director
UC Berkeley
lavelyp@uclink2.berkeley.edu