Re: Low Doses, Ethics and LNT -Reply

Sandy:

Go easy on the caffiene man you're goin to blow a gasket!

But seriously, to use an analogy:

If a plane crashes 50 miles from my house do I have any concerns?
Not if I ain't on the plane.
Not if none of the parts hits my property.

Can the FAA tell me, with 100% certainty, that I will not be affected by this
crash?
........YES......

Now

If a Nuclear Power Plant melts down 50 miles from my house do I have any
concerns?
If there is a release to the environment???
If the wind blows it over my house???

Can the NRC tell me, with 100% certainty, that I will not be affected by this
meltdown?
....NO....

Don't get excited now.  This ain't me talkin this is John & Jane Doe out there
lookin at Nuclear anything and seeing Chernobyle all over again.  And we can do
all the studies we want and gather all the statistics we want and it will all
go in one ear and out the other.  Until genetic science gets to the point where
we can PROVE without a doubt that 'small' exposures are harmless we are blowin
in the wind.  We also have to remember that the public was sold a bill of goods
about Nuclear Power from the beginning, (too cheap to meter, safest industry
going, best trained and qualified personnel, etc).  Well, it's pretty
expensive, we have had a litany of errors ongoing since Chalk River (most non
published till recently) and those best trained and highly qualified people
have made mistake after mistake all the while trying to cover up their
mistakes.

The truth is, most folks just flat don't trust anything with the word Nuclear
attached to it and I can't say as I blame them much.  We ain't (<= i love that
word) been very good at being honest with ourselves, much less the public.

Oh, by the way I'm not an anti nuke.....far from it....have been nuclear since
' 65.  Seen the good, the bad and the ugly.  So just a little reminder that
sometimes it is good therapy to get outside the box and look at ourselves as
others see us and always remember

Ron Shepherd   RSC, HP, ALARA, RADDOG

33 Rem and still lookin good!

SHEPHRL@GWSMTP.NU.COM