Unknown Object

Dear All

Whilst looking for calibration source earlier today, I re-discovered a
curious radioactive object which I don't know the origin of, or the use
of. Let me describe it:

It's a shiny metallic tin, about the size of a standard can of beans.
It's sealed, feels heavier in the hand than you think it should. If you
shake it nothing rattles inside, and on the top there's a cylindrical
cap, also shiny metallic, about an inch long, and about a centimetre in
diameter (sorry to mix my units). This unscrews revealing a needle
embedded in, what looks like, bakelite. The whole thing looks pretty
old.

As far as radiation goes it gives a moderate cps on a fairly sensitive
scintillation contamination monitor when monitored around the outside of
the container. It's not external contamination, and filters have
determined that it's emitting gammas. My gamma spec is not available to
me at present, so I don't know the energy. 2 cm of Al doesn't do much.
Any ideas? It does have the following worded small label screwed onto
it's surface:

LABORATORIUM STRAUSS
Werkstafffur Rontgen-u. Radiophysik
Wien 17., Pointengasse 5
TYPE 4  APP. 699  VOLT
UMSCHALTBAR FUR ALLE NETZSPANNUNGEN

I think that's German, strange eh? (If it turns out to be a V2 Rocket
detonator.....I'm outta here fast!!!)

Could you address any replies to me personally as I'm having next week
off and will shortly be temporarily stopping radsafe mail - feel free
also to send in to the list as well.

Cheers

Andy Hancock
Charing Cross Hospital