Re: Unknown Object

Andy Hancock wrote:

> As far as radiation goes it gives a moderate cps on a fairly sensitive
> scintillation contamination monitor when monitored around the outside of
> the container. It's not external contamination, and filters have
> determined that it's emitting gammas. My gamma spec is not available to
> me at present, so I don't know the energy. 2 cm of Al doesn't do much.
> Any ideas? It does have the following worded small label screwed onto
> it's surface:
>
> LABORATORIUM STRAUSS
> Werkstafffur Rontgen-u. Radiophysik
> Wien 17., Pointengasse 5
> TYPE 4  APP. 699  VOLT
> UMSCHALTBAR FUR ALLE NETZSPANNUNGEN

Strauss devised a 'dose-counter' in 1925 using an electronic tube as
an electronic switch to recharge the ionisation chamber when the
voltage was dropping below a set level. These ticks were counted with
an electromechanical counter. He named this device 'Mekapion' and it
was in use for quite some time thereafter.

I don't know what other kind of apparatus his company was producing
to which your source might fit, so a radiation therapy physicist
(which I am not) might give you more hints on that.

By the way, 'UMSCHALTBAR FUR ALLE NETZSPANNUNGEN' has got nothing to
do with frequency but means 'adjustable to all mains voltages'.

Regards,

Robert Nowotny
Univ.Doz. Dr. Robert Nowotny<R.Nowotny@BMTP.AKH-Wien.ac.at>
Institut f. Biomed. Technik und Physik, Univ. Wien
AKH-4L, Waehringer Guertel 18-20, A-1090 Wien, Austria
Phone: +43-1-40400-1988; Fax: +43-1-40400-3988