> Von: A. Hancock <a.hancock@s1.cxwms.ac.uk>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Unknown Object
> Datum: Freitag, 15. August 1997 12:33
>
> Dear All
>
> Whilst looking for calibration source earlier today, I re-discovered a
> curious radioactive object which I don't know the origin of, or the use
> of. Let me describe it:
>
> It's a shiny metallic tin, about the size of a standard can of beans.
> It's sealed, feels heavier in the hand than you think it should. If you
> shake it nothing rattles inside, and on the top there's a cylindrical
> cap, also shiny metallic, about an inch long, and about a centimetre in
> diameter (sorry to mix my units). This unscrews revealing a needle
> embedded in, what looks like, bakelite. The whole thing looks pretty
> old.
>
> As far as radiation goes it gives a moderate cps on a fairly sensitive
> scintillation contamination monitor when monitored around the outside of
> the container. It's not external contamination, and filters have
> determined that it's emitting gammas. My gamma spec is not available to
> me at present, so I don't know the energy. 2 cm of Al doesn't do much.
> Any ideas? It does have the following worded small label screwed onto
> it's surface:
>
> LABORATORIUM STRAUSS
> Werkstafffur Rontgen-u. Radiophysik
> Wien 17., Pointengasse 5
> TYPE 4  APP. 699  VOLT
> UMSCHALTBAR FUR ALLE NETZSPANNUNGEN
>
> I think that's German, strange eh? (If it turns out to be a V2 Rocket
> detonator.....I'm outta here fast!!!)
>
> Could you address any replies to me personally as I'm having next week
> off and will shortly be temporarily stopping radsafe mail - feel free
> also to send in to the list as well.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy Hancock
> Charing Cross Hospital
> London, UK
> a.hancock@cxwms.ac.uk

In the telephone book of Vienna there is now Laboratorium Strauss listed
(any more). The place is rather close to my living place - maybe I have a
look there once for curiosity.

"Umschaltbar für alle Netzspannungen" means that you can switch this device
to all mains voltages. I doubt whether this material is radioactive, I
would rather guess that it may be a part of an x-ray device. It therefore
is more than unlikely that it is the device you suspect and suggest that
you calmly stay at your working place (I do not take any responsibility for
my advice) - except for holidays of course!

Regards,

Franz