Re: Low Doses and LNT -Reply

I wish I could agree with Nick Tsurikov's assessment of the "silence" problem.
My experience leads me to believe that the problem is much more difficult.

The suggestion that we educate the anti-nuclear activists seems hopeless for a
number of reasons.  For example, a number of the antis (e.g. John Gofman & Ernie
Sternglass) are quite knowledgable and those who are not informed are ignorant
either by choice or because of their inability to learn.  There is no shortage of
information or of qualified people willing to convey that information.  Another
consideration is that the prominant anti-nucs are professional fear-mongers.  It is
by upsetting people that you get them to contribute to your organization.  Then
there is the irrationality factor; public meetings tend to provide a forum for the
uninhibited.  When irrational charges are made in these meetings, I wonder
whether the speaker is somewhat deranged or merely seeking publicity.  I have not
doubt, however, that it is the most outrageous statements that will be on TV.

As for the open forum suggestion, again it seems out of phase with reality.  We, the
Baltimore-Washington Chapter of the Health Physics Society, tried that approach
and found that once was enough.  The two sides preached at each other and got
their views into the proceedings but, so far as anyone could tell, there was virtually
no learning about the issues.  The media, of course, picked out a few alarming and
outrageous statements to titilate their audiances.

The massive public education approach has not been tried because the necessary
money has not been found.  If we had the funds that a major tobacco company
spends on advertising, I believe we could have an impact.  I have not been able to
identify sources of such amounts of money.

I do not know whether there is a solution but it seems to me that the Health
Physics Society's Science Teachers' Workshops program is our best bet.  Funding
is a problem even for this relatively inexpensive program but progress is being
made, relying on the efforts of volunteers.  If you are interested in conducting such
workshops in your area, you are invited to contact me, the Baltimore-Washington
Chapter, or the Health Physics Society Secretariat.

The struggle is important.  The Workshop program offers the opportunity to be a
participant.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov