Contaminated Lead Questions

TO: RADSAFE

FROM: Floyd Galpin
     Rogers & Associates
       Engineering Corp

     Several weeks ago I saw an interchange on RADSAFE about contaminated
lead
aprons and shielding materials designed for use in medical facilities.  I
didn't have a lot of
interest at the time, and then I went on vacation.  Now I find I have need
for information on
this occurrence.  I would be particularly interested in information on the
following points.

1. What was the radionuclide that was contaminating the lead?

2. Was the source of the contamination ever determined, and if so what was
it?

3. At what concentration, or range of concentrations did the contamination
exist?

4. What specific devices or materials were contaminated?  Was it only one
company's
devices, or were several involved.

5. I recall some "official" advisory that it was still better to use the
shielding devices rather
than do without shielding.  Who made this advisory and with what authority?

6. What would be the best source for follow up information?

     If anyone has information on these questions please send me an e-mail
directly to:
fgalpin@compuserve.com.  Replies to RADSAFE are also OK if you think your
response is
of general interest.