Re[2]: Low Doses and LNT

      Tsurikov Nick <ntsuriko@rgc.com.au>wrote, in part:
>If the public impression that "there is no safe level of radiation" will
>not be changed (at least to the point of accepting some level of exposure
>which MAYBE will decrease some life expectancies by a couple of days, but
>will benefit all society) we will face more and more ridiculous
>situations.

That appears to be an accurate statement.

>I totally agree that SILENCE IS KILLING US.
>The proposal (probably crazy - they say all Russians are crazy), but
>nevertheless:
>Let's try to educate anti-nuclear special interest groups first.  Let's
>have a Joint Conference of, say, Radiation Protection or Health Physics
>Society and guys like Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth.  Let's
>broadcast it like presidential candidates' debates, let's invite all the
>media.  Some sort of open forum.  Any questions asked and answered.  For
>example, what we are going to do when coal,oil and gas will run out?  And
> let's see what happens....

     Regarding the above proposed action, Carl Sagan, in his second to last
     book, "DEMON HAUNTED WORLD: SCIENCE AS A CANDLE IN THE DARK" outlines
     the difficulties science faces when dealing with irrational entities.

     Sagan, on p. 255, leads with: "The claim is also sometimes made that
     science is as arbitrary or irrational as all other claims to
     knowledge; or that reason itself is an illusion." He then inserts the
     following quote:

     "Those who invalidate reason ought seriously to consider whether they
     argue against reason with or without reason; if with reason, then they
     establish the principle that they are laboring to dethrone: but if
     they argue without reason (which, in order to be consistent with
     themselves they must do), they are out of reach of rational
     conviction, nor do they deserve a rational argument." -- Ethan Allen
     just after their (the Green Mountain Boys) capture of Fort
     Ticonderoga.

     Sagan also describes a 'baloney detection kit' which is quite useful
around this part of the country; perhaps a future post will include the kit's
salient ideals.

>Kind Regards
>Nick Tsurikov
>Radiation Safety Officer - RGC Mineral Sands Limited, Western Australia P.O.
>Box 47
>Eneabba, WA 6518, Australia
>ph: 61+ 08 9956 9531
>fax: 61+ 08 9956 9597