Re: European Communities and Radiation Exposure of Flight Crews

Lantz, Michael W(Z59078) wrote:
 However, as quoted in an earlier note: The
> unions of flight attendents and other flight personnel have already put
> the subject on their agenda a few years ago.

So, what we must to is get rid of the linear hypothesis as the basis for
radiation protection standards and educate people about the real,
measurable risks, if any of the doses they receive.

> Some crews have an interest and their Union has for years.  This issue
> certainly has a chance of being resolved through education, but hasn't
> to-date.  I'm simply open to the use of dosimetry if it were to help in
> the educational process.

OK

> And as I stated before, since the public is now limited to 100 mrem, the
> older generic flight crew studies seem dated.

But the limitation is based on the linear hypothesis and so is wrong.

> In any case, we should probably just agree to disagree on this.

Oh no.  We don't actually disagree.  We haven't talked yet about what to
do when the flight personnel get around to talking about it and doing
something about it.  By then we should have all our "ducks in a row" so
we can present ideas that have more currency than theirs.  Hopefully,
then, the matter will disappear. Now the question is: "How do we get our
ducks in a row? And which ducks?"  And how do we get a chance to present
our ducks at the appropriate, early time?  Lets be proactive about this
for a change.

Al Tschaeche