Re: Sealed Sources

Albert,

Check out 10 CFR 71.4, Definition for "Special Form Radioactice Material"
and 10 CFR 71.75, "Qualification of special form radioactive material."
This is what is typically meant when someone refers to a 'sealed' source in
a regulatory sense.  The source is considered a 'sealed' source if it meets
the regulatory requirements described in the above references.

Gregory R. Larson
Solid Waste Operations Department
Radioactive Solid Waste Operations Group
Waste Acceptance and Tracking Supervisor
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Phone:  (423) 241-3273
E-mail:  larsongr@ornl.gov

At 10:54 PM 8/26/97 -0500, Albert W. Wolff Jr. wrote:
>Does anyone know of any NRC guidance (NUREG or otherwise)on what the
>offical definition of a "sealed" source is? Technical Specifications at
>DAEC require a leak test be performed on sealed non-exempt sources every
>six months. Questions have arose on whether a liquid source which is
>only sealed by a cap on a vial and used for perparing aliquots of
>smaller quanity sources could be interpreted as a "sealed" source for
>Technical Specification purposes. I have searched through the NRC HP
>Position Papers without any luck. Thanks in advance.
>--
>Albert W. Wolff Jr
>Health Physics
>IES Utilities
>Duane Arnold Energy Center
>
>wolff.albert@mcleod.net
>awolff@ies-energy.com
>319-851-7837

Greg Larson
Solid Waste Operations Department
Radioactive Solid Waste Operations Group
Waste Acceptance and Tracking Supervisor
Bldg. 3047, Rm. 327, MS-6023
Phone:  241-3273
Pager:   873-4958
User ID: g9l