Sealed Sources -Reply

10CFR30.4 Definitions
"SEALED SOURCE means any byproduct material that is encased in a
capsule designed to prevent leakage or escape of the byproduct
material."

 A vial with a cap for liquid byproduct does not fit this defition to me.  we
do not leak test those vials on our site.
------------------
Yong Zhu, CHP
Maine Yankee Atomic Power Co.
(207) 882-5650
zhu@myapc.com

>>> Albert W. Wolff Jr. <wolff.albert@mcleod.net> Aug 26, 1997  11:50
pm >>>
Does anyone know of any NRC guidance (NUREG or otherwise)on what
the offical definition of a "sealed" source is? Technical Specifications at
DAEC require a leak test be performed on sealed non-exempt sources
every six months. Questions have arose on whether a liquid source
which is only sealed by a cap on a vial and used for perparing aliquots
of smaller quanity sources could be interpreted as a "sealed" source for
Technical Specification purposes. I have searched through the NRC HP
Position Papers without any luck. Thanks in advance.  --  Albert W. Wolff
Jr  Health Physics
IES Utilities
Duane Arnold Energy Center

wolff.albert@mcleod.net awolff@ies-energy.com