RE: European Communities and Radiation Exposure of Flight Crews -Reply

Mike Lantz' statement that "... the public is now limited to 100 mrem ..." is the
kind of incomplete statement that we should try to avoid.  In fact, of course, the
annual dose to members of the public is limited to 100 mrem FROM REGULATED
SOURCES. The NCRP reports that the annual dose to the average member of the
public from non-medical sources is about 300 mrem; the Dornsife data indicate that
the maximum annual dose to a member of the public probably exceeds 3,000 mrem.

The threat is that the number of regulated sources tends to continue to be
increased and the economic impact increased.  I believe we have a duty to oppose
this trend, based on the principle of trying to do more good than harm.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov