RE: European Communities and Radiation Exposure of Flight

Charlie Willis said the following:

> The NCRP reports that the annual dose to the average member of the
> public from non-medical sources is about 300 mrem; the Dornsife data indicate that
> the maximum annual dose to a member of the public probably exceeds 3,000 mrem.
>
> The threat is that the number of regulated sources tends to continue to be
> increased and the economic impact increased.  I believe we have a duty to oppose
> this trend, based on the principle of trying to do more good than harm.

Charlie,

Would you expand on what makes up the 300 mrem from non-medical
sources, and, what makes up the 3 rem/year number quoted?  I was
always under the impression that the majority of the public dose did
in fact come from medical procedures.

I would also be interested in where the increase in non-regulated
sources is increasing from.  Perhaps a reference to which NCRP would
be helpful. As far as opposing the trend, that can only happen with
the above information. The determination of good is a more difficult
subject to wrestle with.

I had a series of about 10 different type x-rays yesterday. I was
impressed that the first thing the technologist gave me was a gonadal
shield (without me having to ask first). This was all for scattered
radiation, not primary beam irradiation. Somebody was well trained!

Homepage:
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html