Re: deregulation

Zack makes a good point. While with FPL, when FPL actually practiced
what they had originally implemented as part of the TQM program, and
achievement of the Deming Award, was to conduct routine customer
surveys. What was of prime interest to the customers were that they
wanted economical electricity provided, AND, one that was reliable as
well as available. That meant, when they turned on an electric
product, they expected that there would be electricity flowing. COST
was still paramount. Many also wanted their electric company to be
environmentally proactive, as long as it didn't cost THEM too much. I
believe that there will be an avalanche of telemarketers, door to
door electric salesman and mailings. I believe they will follow the
glut we currently see with local and long distance telephone
promotions. THEY push cost .. and generally, reliability isn't even
mentioned. I believe that Zack's message needs to get out somehow ..
and the best forum for that is most likely the electric industry
groups, such as EPRI, EEI, HPS and NEI. However, since we don't hear
much from these organizations on basic issues, such as risk to the
public from radiation exposure, LNT and other very important topics,
I venture to say that we won't hear much from them, in the way of
public information broadcasts on this issue as well.

Canada's Greenpeace applauded the proposed shutdown of 7 reactors by
Ontario Hydro. They then cautioned about a 400% increase in the
detrimental gaseous releases from other sources of electricity.
There was NO follow-up to this at all, by any reputable organization
that promotes nuclear energy.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director