Re: Small Locked Box to secure RAM

At 15:30 08/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>A researcher is asking if a small locked box (10x6x4 inches) in a freezer
>would meet the RAM security requirement. We have been steressing to lock
>the sources or lab. The box is light. The freezer is not locked and
>located inside of a lab. The box can easily be moved.

Back when I worked for Rad Safety at NIH, our protocol was:
Either the freezer must be locked (and labeled!) or,
the lab itself must be locked at all times.

Since most of the time, the RAM was used in the same lab, we stuck to the
lab locked at all times rule.  Researchers would set up a gel and go to
lunch, thus the RAM, while encased in the experiment, could be construed as
unsecured by the NRC.  The (VERY rare) exception for the freezers was if
the room only contained freezers and no place to work.  In that case, only
the freezers had to be locked.

Please note that this information may not be the most current and in no way
should my memory of this be construed as NIH policy or procedure.

This arangement was in response to an NRC request from an inspection many
years ago.

>I do not really feel the RAM is secure but I don't know to what extend the
>RAM has to be secured.

I think an inspector would very much agree with the first part of your
statement.

>I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you. M. Jo

Happy to help.  Had this argument number of times.

>This is only my opinion...
>Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
>University of Nevada, Reno
>Health Physics
>EH&S/MS 328
>Reno, NV 89557
>(702) 784-4540(voice)
>(702) 784-4553(fax)

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarialy represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD