Re: What would we do with a threshold? -

It is a shame that the DeMinimis concept was rejected, prior to
publishing the revised Part 20. It was in it, even though the value
arguably was lower than it should have been, but it was in the
regulation. Having the concept published would have at least gotten
the threshold "foot in the door". In reality, although there is no
official DeMinimis value, there are many "Thresholds". The 10% of any
annual limit is a threshold. Essentially the regulators are saying
that if one receives <500 mrem/year (TEDE), the individual does not
even need to be monitored. DeMinimis and BRC are nice concepts. We
need more and, we need higher thresholds. The scientific community
and the experts need to put their heads together so that "reasonable"
regulations can be promulgated. Let's build on the "current"
deMinimis values .. extend them .. to the point there is logic based
on real risks, not just perceived risks. We can dictate doses down to
the point where there will be minimal exposures to an individual,
BUT, the work still needs to be done, and, that will only mean
exposing a larger segment of the population to ensure that the work
does get completed. Of course you have to consider the extra dose due
to transition, different shifts, work in progress needs to be
re-started after a briefing, etc. This doesn't make sense. We need
logic and we need reasonable perseverance.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division