Re: European Communities and Radiation Exposure of Flight Crews

Cameron Jeffries wrote:

> It is all very well for you to say that the 1 mSv limit is based on a wrong
> model. But that doesn't help the airline industry. Can they turn around and
> say that the model your legistration is based on is wrong therefore we are
> not subject to that law.

I disagree.  The ICRP and NCRP recommendations are only that,
recommendations.  They are not law.  There is no law that limits flight
crew doses.  Let's not get radiation health confused with laws and
regulations.  Either we have evidence that low doses are harmful or we
don't.  If we don't (and we don't), I say we should not frighten flight
crews with ideas that low doses are, in fact harmful.  That, to me is
immoral, unethincal and wrong!

No! (note I make no comment on the validity of the
> linear model). Until the linear hypothesis is changed it is the basis of
> limit setting.

And all I'm saying is that we should do everything we can to get it
changed, not just sit by and do nothing.

Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net