Re: Why nuclear is a "no-win" in the USA

    In following this thread, I am reminded of an editorial in an
    automotive magazine from the early 1980's.

    During the time when that industry was struggling with a
    disgruntled consumer base, there was a conference on 'Quality'.
    One speaker was pointing out that his company had greatly improved
    their quality by all available metrics - doors were fitting
    better, engines met tighter tolerences, there were lower rejection
    rates at final inspections, etc.  However, the cars were still not
    selling.  The speaker concluded that the public had the wrong
    perception of quality, and that industry needed to 'educate' the
    public as to what it really was.

    The author of the editorial then pointed out that while the
    speaker's points were correct about the improved manufacturing
    techniques, it was not a matter of perception but a matter of
    definition that caused the conflict.  The consumer's definition of
    quality was different - their definition included such
    considerations as currentness of design, environmental
    compatability, appropriateness to modern lifestyles, ease of
    operation and maintenance, corporate responsiveness to customer
    concerns, reliability, etc.  The public's perception was their
    reality, and none of the industry's metrics adequately captured
    these concepts.

    Perhaps there is a similar problem in our industry.  We use
    quantitative metrics to measure our 'product', the safety of our
    workers and the public.  We count rem and Curies (oops, I mean
    sieverts and bequerel), we calculate latent cancers and genetic
    defects, and compare ourselves to other societal risks.  But the
    public seems to be asking a different question:  "is there anybody
    out there recognizing and responding to my concern, and should I
    trust them?"

    I agree completely with Bill Lipton and Sandy Perle.  We fail the
    public and our workers when we discount their perceptions and
    concerns because we 'know' the real risk, and have decided that
    there is not a problem.  The public understands risk; they
    understand reasonableness.  But what they understand most of all
    is when they are getting the 'cold shoulder' or the 'brush-off'.

    There are many examples where we are starting to rebuild the
    relationship, but there are equally as many where we still have
    not 'gotten it'.  The automotive industry seems to have recovered
    from their problems, perhaps there are some lessons there for us.

    Doug Minnema, CHP
    Defense Programs
    Department of Energy
    <Douglas.Minnema@dp.doe.gov>

    what few thoughts i have are truly my own.