Re: =?DIN_66003?Q?International_use_of_radiation_symbol?=

hopefully the bombshelters that are sportin' the trefoil aren't themselves
hot.  Wouldn't that be considered a use of the trefoil that is acceptable -
even if rad material is not an issue?

At 02:01 PM 9/4/97 -0500, you wrote:

>--Boundary-6216017-0-0
>
>The trefoil radiation symbol is generally taken as the universal symbol for
>ionizing radiation.  It is specified for international shipments by the
>International Air Transport Association.  Hence, it should NOT be used for
>nonionizing radiation, and, in some cases may result in a violation.
>
>The opinions expressed are strictly mine.
>Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.
>
>Bill Lipton
>liptonw@detroitedison.com
>

>--Boundary-6216017-0-0
>
>Date: 04 Sep 97 12:55:43
>From:"radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>Subject: =?DIN_66003?Q?International_use_of_radiation_symbol?=
>

>We have a non-US partner in a project who wants to use the radiation
>trefoil symbol, or "standard radiation symbol", to denote nonionizing
>radiation hazards. Are there any international guidelines, IAEA or
>otherwise, for the use of the trefoil symbol? Is it common practice in
>other countries to use the trefoil for nonionizing radiation?
>
>Bruce Pickett
>The Boeing Company
>Seattle, Washington, USA
>(425)393-3098, FAX (425)393-3060
>bruce.d.pickett?boeing.com
>

>--Boundary-6216017-0-0--

Jeff Eichorst
LANL
myself@lanl.gov

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he
resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself."
	- Archibald MacLeish, 1956