Sealed Vs. Unsealed

I've been watching this thread with interest. Most "sealed sources" are
sealed with a covering of some type (welded stainless steel over Co-60).
Could the method of source production render a source effectively
"sealed" without a cover being applied? Example: ion implanting an
isotope onto/into stainless steel. There's no "cover" per se, but the
isotope is stuck to the stainless like chrome to a bumper. Would that be
a "sealed source"?

This may be a moot point because, from my experience, if it's not on the
NRC's sealed source registry list, it's not a sealed source.

Have a good weekend!

Don Mercado

Don.Mercado@lmco.com