From: Scott D. Kniffin
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Safety Clothing in Laboratories
Date:  September 11, 1997 11:09

I noticed that you are operating under Canadian rules but I'll throw my
2
cents in from my experience.

Back when I worked at NIH, we had a similar problem.  Our rules were
long
pants and closed shoes, no exceptions.  The solution was to go through
on
pop inspections, taking tips from others (contractors or other Gov
employees) as to where to look for violators, and check for pants and
closed toed shoes.  Those not in compliance were suspended from using
RAM
for (I think) 1 week on the spot and given a mini-lecture.  Second
offense:
2 week suspension.  Third offense: 1 month suspension with mandatory
training to return to work.  Fourth: you don't work with this here any
more.  Ever.

The policy may have changed since I left NIH as this is just from my
memory.  However the guidelines for this are fairly strict and should
meet
your needs.  I just can't fathom taking a chance with exposed skin while
working with RAM; you wouldn't do it with acids, why with something
several
times more annoying to deal with in a spill?

I'd recheck your AECB regs again, or what ever your equivalent OSHA
organization regs are for working with haz mats.  I'm sure that there
has
to be something on proper attire in there.  I always wore jeans and all
leather shoes for my own protection.

Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarialy
represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.

At 12:57 09/09/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Following an inspection of our lab facilities, I recently sent this
>message to our lab workers:
>
>>One of the basic lab rules is:
>>"Wear a Lab Coat when working with radioactive materials"
>
>>This is fairly fundamental safety advice, both for radioactives, and,
no
>>doubt, for biological hazards, too.  However, the value of a lab coat
is
>>questionable, to say the least, if the lab worker is wearing shorts,
and
>>or sandals, as a large proportion of skin is directly exposed to
>>accidental spillage, scratches, needle punctures, etc.
SNIP
>I checked our lab rules, as provided by the Atomic Energy Control
Board,

cdavey@med.phys.ualberta.ca
>        pager number 005, just call (403) 432-8771 and ask for that
pager