Re[2]: Safety Clothing in Laboratories

Message authorized by:
    : myself@lanl.gov_at_internet at x400PO

    In almost all instances, I would agree with the approach below.
    However, there are occasions when one needs to consider other
    issues that may override the radiological contamination potential.
    One can easily imagine, and occasionally realize, scenarios where
    the clothing helps create a hazard, rather than mitigate it.

    A good example is at one of the DOE facilities where uranium
    machining is performed.  Anti-c's were required due to the levels
    of particulate contamination present, but they were creating
    another hazard due to the long sleeves potentially getting caught
    in the rotating machinary (a typical industrial hazard).  In that
    case, the solution was "short-sleeved" anti-c's, where some minor,
    easily removed skin contamination to the lower arms was deemed
    more acceptable than the alternative.  They still appropriately
    address contamination when found on other parts of the body.

    I would certainly never endorse blantant disregard for the
    potential for skin contaminations. Certainly, if PPE requirements
    are established for an activity, they should be adhered to.
    However, there are worse things than contamination that could
    sometimes happen (pardon the blasphemy), and we should always keep
    this in mind when we establish those requirements.

    In the DOE world, there is an often overlooked requirement that
    should be remembered:

    10CFR835.3(d)  Nothing in this part shall be construed as limiting
    actions that may be necessary to protect health and safety.

    Doug Minnema, CHP
    Defense Programs, DOE
    <Douglas.Minnema@dp.doe.gov>

    In recognition of recent comments regarding disclaimers, I will
    only paraphrase something we have all heard: "what I say can and
    will be used against me..."  :-)