Re[2]: The Health Physics Profession

     While I agree somewhat with Bill's comments below, I don't think the
     analogy is quite appropriate. I think the question should be: would
     you undergo surgery from someone who does not have a medical DEGREE,
     but does have a BOARD CERTIFICATION in the appropriate medical
     discipline? This changes the question considerably, doesn't it?

     As with Sandy, I have worked with many excellent non-degreed HPs, just
     as I have worked with excellent degreed ones. On the flip side, I have
     also worked with terrible HPs, both with and without degrees (and even
     a few bad ones with CHP behind their name.)

     While board certification is certainly not for everyone, nor should
     everyone need it, it does imply a level of competence. If you go to a
     lawyer who passed the bar exam, do you ask, or even care, if they have
     a degree? Probably not. This same analogy applies to lots of
     professions with licensure/certification.

     I don't believe that every "professional" HP should have a degree
     and/or certification, and I strongly disagree that
     non-degreed/non-certified HPs are not "professionals."

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com

     Non-standard disclaimer: The above is my opinion, I'm proud of it and
     I hereby claim every word!