Re: The Health Physics Profession

Steven Rima wrote:

>      While I agree somewhat with Bill's comments below, I don't think the
>      analogy is quite appropriate. I think the question should be: would
>      you undergo surgery from someone who does not have a medical DEGREE,
>      but does have a BOARD CERTIFICATION in the appropriate medical
>      discipline? This changes the question considerably, doesn't it?
>
>      As with Sandy, I have worked with many excellent non-degreed HPs, just
>      as I have worked with excellent degreed ones. On the flip side, I have
>      also worked with terrible HPs, both with and without degrees (and even
>      a few bad ones with CHP behind their name.)
>
>      While board certification is certainly not for everyone, nor should
>      everyone need it, it does imply a level of competence. If you go to a
>      lawyer who passed the bar exam, do you ask, or even care, if they have
>      a degree? Probably not. This same analogy applies to lots of
>      professions with licensure/certification.
>
>      I don't believe that every "professional" HP should have a degree
>      and/or certification, and I strongly disagree that
>      non-degreed/non-certified HPs are not "professionals."
>
>      Steven D. Rima, CHP
>      Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
>      MACTEC-ERS, LLC
>      steven.rima@doegjpo.com
>
>      Non-standard disclaimer: The above is my opinion, I'm proud of it and
>      I hereby claim every word!
>
> _
>
> <snip>

I have to agree with Steve that just because you may have a degree does
not makes you a professional. People need to look at that person
individual experiences and determine in there own mind if that person
can perform at the expected level for that particular position or
situation. We all know that "Health Physics" is and extremely large
field and no one person can be a professional in all aspects. I have
worked in this field for over 12 years and I have seen more idiotic
answers, questions, comments from a CHP and or otherwise educated
person. I am not trying to down grade anyone here there are good people
on both sides of this fence. Look at experience not education and
certifications.

These are my own opinions love it or leave it!