Re: Re[2]: The Health Physics Profession

Jeff Eichorst stated the following:

> ... why are the requirements changing to even be able to take the CHP exam.  From what
> I understand, you can't  even take it unless you have a degree.

In the past there was always a related experience level which allowed
an individual to take the CHP exam, if, there were insufficient
educational background. I would be disheartened if that provision
were removed. I personally elected NOT to complete the CHP process,
after attaining the Part I satisfactorily, back in 1983. That was my
personal choice, based on what was important to me at that time. If
it is true that the ABHP is going to require a degree, before a test
can be administered, then the false conclusion that only a degreed
individual can be considered professional enough to wear the CHP hat,
will be fostered. That is obviously nonsense, as has been attested to
by many Radsafers. If a group decides that an individual who has a
CHP but no degree, then they have the decision whether or not they
want to use that individual's services. My opinion is that the ABHP
should not be the entity to make this decision. The fact that many
non-degreed individuals currently hold the distinction of CHP speaks
well of our profession. To change that now will only promote those
who strongly believe that the ABHP is nothing more than a clique of
elitists. There is no reason to change the requirements, and I hope
that Jeff's information is not correct, and if it is, the decision to
make the change is rescinded.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director