Re: The Health Physics Profession

Am I correct in my reading of Jason Armstrong's dissertation that the only
possible way a person can learn theory is by going to a college?  Let's say,
for arguments sake, that I don't have a degree, but I felt certain enough
that I could study for the CHP exam, take it and pass it.  Furthermore,
let's say I passed the test.  Am I still unworthy of being a professional in
health physics?  Is a health physicist the only person in "health physics"
that can be a "professional"?

At 03:54 PM 9/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I just want to add my 2 cents...
>
>There is huge difference of understanding between a person with a degree in
health
>physics and person not having a degree.  I believe you cannot consider
yourself a
>professional in health physics without a college degree and several years work
>experience AFTER you earned your degree.
>
>I worked for a few years as a "Rent-A-Tech" during refueling outages before
>earning my degree in health physics.  My level of understanding as tech was
just
>enough so that I can swing a meter, write a decent survey report, and provide
>radiological coverage based upon recommendations by the plant health physicist.
>
>I have heard people say that training in the nuclear navy as enlisted
personnel is
>comparable to that of a nuclear engineering/health physics degree.  This is not
>true.  My program at Oregon State was made mostly of nuclear navy enlisted
people
>that were given a 3 year opportunity to earn a degree.  It was no surprise that
>the first 2 years were a struggle for the non-navy students competing for a
good
>grade against the navy trained students, but by the third year, it was an even
>playing ground.
>
>My point is, you gain the theory through formal education that is necessary
to be
>a professional health physicist.  Without a theory background and post academic
>work experience, you cannot make solid recommendations or decisions.  This is
>necessary to be a professional in health physics.

Jeff Eichorst
Occurrence Investigator
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ESH-7, MS K999, Los Alamos, NM 87545
505.665-6980		505.665-6977 fax
505.996-1117 digital pager,	myself@lanl.gov

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth."
	- JFK