RE: My Inquirry RE Doses to Sub Crews

Just thought I'd fill the group in.  The veteran in question indicated
he spent a lot of time sitting/hanging out on torpedos which he
assumed were nuclear.  He was not an ELT [Engr Lab Tech (HP Tech)] but
a cook.  He said his exposure was # 2 after teh Captain of one of the
boats.  From what some of teh former Nuc Navy people have said, I can
guess he might have been told he had accumulated the maximum permissible
under an ALARA time sub occupational limits.  It seems extrememly unlikely
that the Captain of a sub would have exposures approaching 5 rem/y.

I asked him about the possibility of the nasopharyngeal radium treatments
used with some sub and air crew and he said he'd read about it but had
not had it.

I have gotten a release and requested a report on his exposure from the
Navy.

Thanks again to all the Nuclear Navy Vets that responded and thanks to
the gentleman from France who was in their Nuclear Navy.  Constraints of
the system we use kept me from responding to someone outside of this
country.

Peter G. Vernig, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov
VA Medical Center, Denver, CO USA