more on capsules!

	----------
	From: 	Bass, Billy G.[SMTP:bgb3@mhg.edu]
	Sent: 	Wednesday, October 01, 1997 10:37 AM
	To: 	Multiple recipients of list
	Subject: 	Re: I-131 procedure bioassay requirement

	Regarding the bioassay requirement, we had a case where a
technologist
	transferred I-131 capsules from the shipping container to the
dosing
	container without using the hood (capsules are sealed, right?).
That
	individual received an elevated thyroid burden of iodine.  I
don't remember
	the exact level, but the effective dose was estimated at about 1
rem.  Since
	then all handling of capsules (diagnostic or therapeutic) are
performed in
	an approved hood.  In a related incident, some of our nuclear
physicians
	felt that they did not have to get the bioassays because "they
did not
	participate directly in the administration of the iodine".  The
NRC
	disagreed, and a number of us got an invitation to
King-of-Prussia for an
	enforcement conference, a fine, and some very unpleasant
publicity which the
	Board of Directors did no appreciate.  To quote the old adage "a
word to the
	wise..."

	Bill Bass
	RSO Washington Hospital Center