RE: Swipe Testing

There is a paper that addressed the increased efficiency of swipes that
have been wettedor had H2O added prior to analysis.  If somebody wants that,
 I can get it (it's at home) in a day or two.  The water solubilizes the
dirt.  Most coctails can handle quite a bit of H2O, so that's not much of
an issue.  We add 1 ml DI H2O to each smear, then add cocktail and agitate.
 This brings consistency to quenching concerns.

I'd agree that taking the swipes dry is good practice, and for the reasons
listed.

Brian Rees
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Plutonium Facility Operational Health Physics
brees@lanl.gov