PWR releases -Reply

David,

I doubt that you will find the information you seek because 10 MW (thermal)
reactors were of the "Test, Research, and University" type, such as the
Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor (5 MW) and the National Bureau of
Standards reactor (10 MW) which were not pressurized water reactors.  I believe
the lowest-powered reactor that powered a nuclear power plant was the Piqua
organic moderated reactor (45.5 MW thermal).  Lockheed operated a 10 MW
PWR, the "Radiation Effects Reactor," (RER) intermittently from 1958 to 1970
(see my article in Health Physics,  October 1962).

The constraints on releases in the 1960's were the concentration limits of 10 CFR
Part 20.  Generally, I believe these were applied as instantaneous concentration
limits.  Operations and releases, however, were not continuous; the RER, for
example, was shut down for years at a time.  Unless you can find specific records
for the plant(s) of interest, dose or release "reconstruction" would be difficult.
Further, such plants tended to be sited in remote locations, so doses to real people
off-site are believed to have been quite low.

Releases from US nuclear power plants in the 1975-1993 era are well documented.
See the NUREG/CR-2907 reports, Volumes 1 through 14).

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov