RE: contamination fo centrifuges

Jim,

We struggled with this problem for years but have now all but
eliminated large, recurring contamination in small, benchtop
centrifuges.
Since I suspected that the contamination was not all caused by
leaking vials or snap caps which opened during the spins, I asked for
cooperation from some of the worst offenders.  They were asked to
call us when preparing vials for a spin.  The outside of the vials
were swiped after preparation but before the spin.

We found that almost all of the vials were being contaminated on the
outside during preparation by poor pipetting technique, poor glove
use or drips when the caps were snapped closed.  The contamination
was then being slung off onto the barrel of the fuge.  We got some
flack from lab personnel until it was proven, especially from the old
hands.

We immediately started covering this in our Radiation Safety Short
Course for all new users each term and got the word out to the
offenders.  The result was a dramatic downturn in fuge contamination
events, especially large ones.

I don't believe we will ever eliminate the problem completely, but
this has worked for us in a big way.  By the way, the first step in
this investigation was a call to fuge manufacturers who told me that
the only reasons contamination should be inside of a fuge is either
an unbalanced load, a vial contaminated on the outside before the
spin, or a failed part in the vial holding system of the fuge.

Good hunting.

George Rawls
Health Physicist
University of Florida