Re: Etymology of SCRAM

During this thread last week, I decided to call my friend Warren Nyer here
in Idaho Falls and find out for sure the origin of the word "scram".  I
knew he had been involved with CP-1 at the University of Chicago and had
spent his career in Nuclear Safety, so surely would know the history. I
came to work today prepared to reveal my discovery (actually Warren's
story!!!) to the RADSAFE world, only to find that Gene Carbaugh had beat me
to the punch(line)!!  This damnable 4-10's schedule that gives us Friday
off prevented me from getting to this task or reading Gene's note until
today.

It was exceptional to hear the story first hand, but I will only reiterate
a few points for emphasis.  Mr. Nyer alluded to the articles which Gene
quoted.  The button on the control panel which would drive in the control
rods and safety rods was (naturally) a red, panic button. (Some things
never change!) This button was designated as the SCRAM button about a month
before the Pile was assembled, just as described in Gene's report of
Warren's letter.   Mr. Nyer pointed out that Mr Hilberry was not present at
the meeting nor aware of the designation, since he was assigned to other
aspects of the project at that time.

After the pile was assembled, Dr. Zinn personally instructed Mr. Hilberry
on his duties concerning cutting the rope.  Mr. Nyer indicated that Mr.
Hilberry may have been the subject of some collegial humor concerning his
assignment and that this most likely was the source of the words (Safety
Control Rod Axe Man) which caused SCRAM to become an acronym. He was also
quick to point out that it was actually a little hatchet, not an axe. (But
"hatchet" doesn't fit the acronym, does it !)  It appears that in this
industry of acronyms, we may actually have a word which was used in its
original meaning that became an acronym, rather than the more normal
etymology of an acronym becoming a commonly used word.