Re: FDA likely to approve meat irradiation-Spokesman

>The following is positive news!
>=======================
>
>Wednesday October 8 5:58 PM EDT
>
>FDA likely to approve meat irradiation-Spokesman
>
>WASHINGTON, Oct 8 (Reuter) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration was
>likely to approve irradiation of red meat in the next few months, a
>spokesman said Wednesday.
>
>``We hope to render a decision soon,'' said spokesman Arthur Whitmore.
>

>He said a decision might come at the end of this year ``that is likely
>to be an approval for red meat for microbial contaminants.''
>
>For three years, FDA has been reviewing a request from Isomedix, of
>Hackensack, New Jersey, for approval to use irradiation on red meat.
>
>Irradiation, which relies on low-power ionization to kill pathogens,
>already has been approved for spices and pork.
>
>Public acceptance has been low. Proponents say irradiation is mistaken
>for nuclear radiation.
>
>FDA reform bills passed by the House and Senate would allow foodmakers
>to eliminate from their labels the ``radura'' logo for irradiation and
>use a smaller typeface to say the product was treated by irradiation.
>The food industry backed the change.
>
>``Legislation that downsizes the radura and disclosure information on
>labels...simply fuels the fires of consumer concern,'' said Nancy
>Donley of the consumer group Safe Tables Our Priority. ``Why try to
>hide the fact that the food is irradiate if you have, in fact, nothing
>to hide?''
>
>The House version of the FDA bill also contained language calling on
>FDA to rule promptly on meat irradiation.
>------------------
>Sandy Perle
>Technical Director
>ICN Dosimetry Division
>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
>Fax:    (714) 668-3149
>
>sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
>sperle@icnpharm.com
>
>Personal Homepage:
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205
>
>ICN Dosimetry Website:
>http://www.dosimetry.com
>

>"The object of opening the mind, as of opening
>the mouth, is to close it again on something solid"
>              - G. K. Chesterton -
 Somebody better get it across that this "low power" radiation is not low
dose radiation.  The kSv needed to kill bugs is intense and lethal to the
bugs.  That it is similar to a cancer therapy, not inducing food additives,
contaminations, radioactivity, etc., has gotten all fuzzed up in the press
and is becoming a large PR issue that needn't be.
Marvin Goldman