Re: FDA likely to approve meat irradiation-Spokesman

Sandy Perle wrote:

> Not only are the press, and others, misusing the term low level
> radiation, the following quote from proponents is also inaccurate.
>
> > >Public acceptance has been low. Proponents say irradiation is
> mistaken
> > >for nuclear radiation.

Sandy, considering how many of us have been "quoted" without quotes, it seems
at least as likely that this is another reporter getting it wrong, rather than
another stupid proponent.

> Irradiation is nuclear radiation... At least that is what I was
> taught in school ;)
>
> As Marvin said:
>
> > and is becoming a large PR issue that needn't be.
>
> It will .... and the proponents will look like fools, and the public
> will be even more defensive when it comes to nuclear related issues
> . with total disbelief in anyone who speaks out in favor of such
> nuclear related activities.

Note that facilities and isotopes to irradiate 13 Billion pounds per year of
hamburger alone, plus the chicken that should be being irradiated under
current FDA approval, and much more under new rules for other forms in
progress, and for many other foodstuffs, will need HPs and nukes, with a
chance to do something more useful than chase a speck of Pu in an ocean of U
and Th decay chain radioactivity, and produce mountains of paper for a
molehill of analysis, for a change.  Of course, we can also succeed in making
the use of radioistopes in this endeavor as uneconomic as we've made nuclear
power! Electron beams may win on the basis of continuing radio-phobia by HPs
and nukes.

Regards, Jim