Re: pregnant x-ray tech

Ramsey, Mary Jo wrote:

> I have a pregnant x-ray tech that has provided us a note from her
> physician
> stating "no work around radiation".  He does not indicate the wearing
> of
> lead, standing prolonged periods of time, pushing portable
> machine....just
> "radiation".  She has signed the "declared pregnant worker" form which
> is
> what I felt obligates us to monitor her (with fetal badge) adequately
> show that she does not exceed the limits but does not require us to
> take her
> out as a "radiation worker".
>
> She did not address any concerns about radiation with me as the RSO.
> Before
> approaching her and her physician I would like to get other's opinions
> or
> experiences regarding this.

Hi,

    We have had to address this issue a number of times in the X-ray
department at the small community hospital where I am the RSO.  We have
very clearly stated in our policy that there is to be no deviation from
normal work practices during the pregnancy.  We do monitor the fetus,
and track the exposures accordingly.  Depending on what your policy
states, if she wishes to not perform her job duties, she may have to
take a leave of absence for the duration of the pregnancy. Considering
she has a note from her doctor, this may fall under your disability plan
requirements. If there is any other information I may be able to
provide, Let me know,  Good Luck.

James Ingarra CNMT, RSO