Re: pregnant x-ray tech

A reminder, the NRC has no jurisdiction in this matter.  I would be
interested in finding out how many states (and commonwealths)
have added embryo/fetus dose limits to declared pregnant workers to
their regulations.

Pennslyvania did as a part of their interest in seeking agreement
state status.

 On 13 Oct 97 at 11:03, Ramsey, Mary Jo wrote:

> I have a pregnant x-ray tech that has provided us a note from her
> physician stating "no work around radiation".  He does not indicate
> the wearing of lead, standing prolonged periods of time, pushing
> portable machine....just "radiation".  She has signed the "declared
> pregnant worker" form which is what I felt obligates us to monitor
> her (with fetal badge) adequately to show that she does not exceed
> the limits but does not require us to take her out as a "radiation
> worker".
>
> She did not address any concerns about radiation with me as the RSO.
>  Before approaching her and her physician I would like to get
> other's opinions or experiences regarding this.

Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
lambert@auhs.edu
Allegheny University of the Health Sciences
Hahnemann Division
Radiation Physics and Safety, MS 106
Broad and Vine Streets
Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192

215-762-8768 (voice)
215-762-7683 (fax)

Disclaimer:  All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not (necessarily) the opinions of my employer.