Re: Alternative isotopes in RTGs?

Actually, the half life is the most important factor to consider.  Given the
length of the mission, the power can't vary much at all or the bird will
become
useless by the time it reaches its destination.  Since the VAST majority of
parts on board are of the 5.0 Volt variety the power must not drift much
or the parts will not function as intended.  It's hard enough to get parts
to function is the space radiation environment as it is without having a
tailoff
in power over the lifetime of the mission.  As most parts, when they degrade
due to radiation, tend to need more power to function properly, this becomes
more of a concern as the mission gets toward its end.  (I can go on for about
30 pages about radiation induced failures in microelectronic circuits,
but I'll spare the bandwidth for another day.)

Pu-239 with its 24,100 year half life has a few more advantages over other
isotopes.  The alpha decay energy is always over 5MeV (more eficient heat
production), no beta emission (less chance for creating a static
electricity problem), the highest gamma energy is of low (weak) probability
(less
shielding = less weight), and the spontaneous fission probability is
incredibly small (very very weak).  In fact the mission neutron
flux for the parts nearest the RTG's is only on the order of 10^9.
Quite small really.

Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.