DOE News Release Related to Fusion Research

Radsafers,

The following may be viewed on the Web at URL:

http://www.doe.gov/html/doe/whatsnew/pressrel/pr97105.html

This may be of interest to those following the
fusion thread.

S.,

MikeG.

----------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 9, 1997

NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
Chris Kielich, 202/586-5806

           UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER/ENERGY
              DEPARTMENT LASER PROGRAM
                PARTNERSHIP EXTENDED

Secretary of Energy Federico Peņa today announced a
$143.4 million, five-year renewal of a cooperative
agreement with the University of Rochester's Laboratory
for Laser Energetics, which plays a crucial role in the
nation's research into laser fusion and fundamental
high-energy-density science. The renewed agreement was
awarded, and will continue to be administered, by the
Department of Energy's Oakland, CA Operations Office.

"Rochester has had a long and successful commitment to
laser fusion research and has produced outstanding
technical and academic achievements," Secretary Peņa said.
"We are pleased to continue tapping this strategically
important resource for research that will benefit our
national security."

"I am pleased to help the University of Rochester's
Laboratory for Laser Energetics get this renewed funding,
and I'm glad the university has this commitment from the
Department of Energy. Rochester continues to be a central
location for technology and innovation, and I'm proud of
the university's strong contributions," said Representative
Louise Slaughter, who represents the Rochester area. Dr.
Victor Reis, Assistant Secretary for Defense Programs noted
that the renewal "will enhance the effective partnership
among academia, the Energy Department and its national
laboratories."

Experiments conducted on the OMEGA laser at the University
of Rochester are valuable in investigating matter under
extreme conditions. These experiments closely duplicate
certain conditions found only in the sun and other stars
or inside a nuclear weapon as it is detonated.  They also
help in assessing the potential of inertial fusion as an
inexhaustible commercial energy source.

This laser research plays a critical role in the Energy
Department's stockpile stewardship program, the plan to
ensure the safety and reliability of the nation's nuclear
weapons stockpile without underground nuclear tests. Under
the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, the United States has
pledged to refrain from nuclear testing.

"Rochester's Laboratory for Laser Energetics, founded in
1970, currently has the largest operating laser in the
world," said University of Rochester President Thomas H.
Jackson. "We're very pleased about this continuation in
funding." "We are delighted to have the confidence of the
Department of Energy and of the Congress for these very
important research initiatives," said Dr. Robert McCrory,
University of Rochester Laboratory for Laser Energetics
director.

Since 1995, when the OMEGA laser was upgraded, it has been
able to focus highly uniform ultraviolet radiation from 60
high power laser beams on a small fuel pellet in the quest
for fusion through inertial confinement.

Many of the techniques invented and refined at Rochester
for using ultraviolet light as a more efficient power
source are now used in inertial confinement fusion
experiments worldwide and for other applications in the
optical industry.

Rochester's OMEGA program is a world leader in the
development of "direct-drive" inertial fusion focusing
laser beams directly on a target. OMEGA also has the
capability to conduct experiments on "indirect-drive,"
where the laser beams produce x-rays that in turn are
used to irradiate a target.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a leader in
development of the indirect drive approach which is used
in assessing nuclear weapons. Both indirect and direct
drive approaches can be used at the National Ignition
Facility now under construction at Livermore in California.
This facility will be critical to the stockpile stewardship
program when it begins operations in 2002.

Rochester's laser lab will support the National Ignition
Facility by testing prototypes of cryogenic target equipment
(such as manipulators and handling systems) and by assessing
direct-drive capability for the ignition facility.

The University of Rochester has awarded 106 Ph.D. degrees to
students who performed all or part of their research at the
laser laboratory. More than 400 students have received
training at the lab, and at least 14 students have received
Ph.D.'s at other institutions through their work at the
University through the laboratory's role as a National
Laser Users Facility, also an Energy Department-sponsored
program.

- DOE -
R-97-105

DOE Press Releases